UPSC prelim exam irks aspirants

North Indian students raise a big hue and cry on UPSC exams recently
Chennai: Several civil services aspirants are upset at the decision of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to go ahead with the preliminary examination as scheduled on Sunday even as their concerns remained unaddressed.
K. Preethi, an aspirant, says despite a group of north Indian students raising a hue and cry, UPSC went ahead with its exam schedule, which meant the protest had made no big change. “One need not bother too much as the government has made it clear that we need not attend the questions in English comprehension for 20 marks in Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT),” she said.
Another aspirant, T. Suresh, said the Union government had diverted the main contention of the issue and portrayed it as though the students protested against English, which was not true. “CSAT creates a divide between the rural and urban candidates, as most of the rural localities in states like Jharkhand, Bihar and Rajasthan do not have enough English medium schools. So, think of their plight. We only wanted the translation of the English comprehension questions,” he said.
Founder-director of Ganesh’s IAS academy S. Ganesa Subramanian said students are upset that their genuine concerns have not been addressed.
“Now, UPSC says students need not answer the comprehension type question in the English part for 22.5 marks, so CSAT will carry 177.5 mark weightage and the UPSC preliminary exam will be for a total of 377.5 marks instead of 400 this year,” he said.