Calicut University hostelites hit by jaundice

No mess, students forced to eat out

KOZHIKODE: Many inmates of the men’s hostel on the Calicut University campus have been hit by various ailments like jaundice and food poison as they depend on wayside eateries and drink unhygienic water.

The hostel mess, which was closed down in March last year following an outbreak of jaundice among the students, is likely to be reopened by November 15.

The drinking water available through the cooler in the hostel and departments is not safe, said the students. R. Ajay Ghosh, who had high fever and increase in the level of bilirubin in blood count, said, “as boys prefer cooler water for drinking, mostly they get jaundice compared to girls.”

Since the mess is not working, most of the students depend on nearby restaurants and roadside eateries. P. Vivek, men’s hostel secretary and a research scholar in MCA, told DC that as the hotels are closed by 8 p.m., the students go to roadside eateries which are not hygienic. “As a result many students get food poison and other diseases” he added.

The authorities denied any knowledge of the issue. “I am not aware of the matter and I didn't get any information regarding this,” said students welfare dean P. Valsarajan.

A source said the hostel mess would be reopened by November 15. “The university authorities have reached an agreement in this regard,” said the source.